In November 2019 over one hundred citizens of Carman and Dufferin came together for a new conversation about poverty in our community organized by an adhoc local volunteer group and facilitated by Health in Common. As a result of the information gathered at this Town Hall meeting, the following needs were identified:
- A central community location staffed with a community navigator to support individuals in accessing information/resources and navigate services.
- Access to a comprehensive, centralized Community resource list
- Increase educational and employment opportunities
- Increase access and options to mental health and addiction services
- Increase quality affordable housing
- Increase access to affordable recreation and leisure activities for children, youth and adults
Carman Wellness Connections (CWC) is a non-profit organization created to explore and achieve community solutions for these identified needs. Carman Wellness Connections has worked diligently to clarify a vision, values, and bylaws to guide the work of this new organization.
Carman Wellness Connections (CWC) is a registered charitable organization.
Carman Wellness Connections is governed by a Board of up to 15 Board members and held its first AGM in June 2021. The Board meets regularly to oversee the work of Carman Wellness Connections and provide support and direction to the Working Groups. New Board members are elected at the AGM by the Board.
Initial Working Groups have been established based upon response to an open invitation to community residents to be on a working group.The Working Groups consist of community volunteers led by a Team Leader who reports to the Board.
Current Working Groups Include:
- Food Security
- Supporting Emotional Health
- Affordable Recreation & Leisure
- Affordable Housing
- Education & Employment
Volunteers are welcome to join the Working groups at any time by contacting the Working Group leaders (see Working Groups) or contacting Carman Wellness Connections